hydraulics nothing works

dabadas

Equipment
kubota b26
Jan 18, 2016
Eden, N.C. USA
I bought a Kubota B26 and everything worked fine yesterday. I get it loaded on trailer and get it home and start to unload it today and none of the hydraulics will move. front bucket. back boom or hydrostatic forward or reverse, I checked the fluid level it was a little low so I added some. Still nothing. any ideas what to check? thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Did a lever get bumped when you loaded it? Take five minutes to catch your breath, and quit cussing. :) then start looking for foolish and simple, checking any and all levers that could be bumped when mounting and dismounting the tractor. If I remember right, there was a lever that switched between backhoe mode and three point hitch mode. And when partially switched between the two, it would cause the hydraulics to act strange. It's been a few years though since I've rented one of those, so my memory is a little rusty as far as what lever did what on one.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I bought a Kubota B26 and everything worked fine yesterday. I get it loaded on trailer and get it home and start to unload it today and none of the hydraulics will move. front bucket. back boom or hydrostatic forward or reverse, I checked the fluid level it was a little low so I added some. Still nothing. any ideas what to check? thanks
IS it cold as a witches ....booooosum? Water in the hydraulic fluid? Frozen????

dabadas

Equipment
kubota b26
Jan 18, 2016
Eden, N.C. USA
thanks for the replies. I did look around and moved every lever i could find. i also let it run for a while to warm up but it didnt help. it is cold out today. should i remove hydraulic filter to look for water in it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you run it does the Power steering work?
If it does then it's not frozen! ;)

Is the backhoe on or off of it?

If it's off then check the feed loop, on the rear of the tractor, it will be a hose with a quick connect coupler make sure it completely connected to the male side.
If it's on check both the in and out lines to make sure both sides are connected.

I would disconnect and reconnect the fittings. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That would be a good start - but you better have a new filter ready to go !

The fact that it worked and now all of a sudden DOES NOT work.... is......mmmm.....suspect. I dont think any of the levers will knock out ALL the hydraulics, unless there is some sorta bypass connection that is being used and you would have know IF you turned that.

I still think cold and frozen.....or worse, water frozen and busted the pump - I hope that aint the case.

Any way to "warm" the entire machine? Heated garage??? or someway to heat it up?
this way you eliminate the frozen water - if that is the cause.

dabadas

Equipment
kubota b26
Jan 18, 2016
Eden, N.C. USA
backhoe and loader are on it. steering acts like it wants to turn but only moves a little with a couple of turns of the steering wheel. i put a jet engine type heater blowing under it for about 30 minutes and had the tractor running to help warm it up. if i try to put the pto in gear it kills the engine

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 what is the temp right now... or when it was happening?
With the steering not responding it's most likely water in the filter/system.

When you say you engage the PTO do you mean the PTO shaft output???

If that is what's going on then it sounds like you do have a serious water problem.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
When you say you engage the PTO do you mean the PTO shaft output???
If that is what's going on then it sounds like you do have a serious water problem.
What would cause the engine to stall by engaging the PTO? (I thought the PTO was all gears.)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On most model the PTO shaft is on the bottom of the gear case and when there is water in the case it will freeze up around the gears and can cause it to bind.

dabadas

Equipment
kubota b26
Jan 18, 2016
Eden, N.C. USA
the temprature was low 30's this morning. when i pulled the dip stick to check hydraulic oil there is no sign of water. should i pull the filter to take a look? hydraulic filter or hydrostatic filter? and yes the pto out put shaft

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Something is not right, it would take much colder temps than just 30's to lock it up.

I'm now wondering if something else is not playing a role in what's going on?

Most likely the PTO engagement killing the engine is probably a interlock issue, or an electrical issue, or possibly from the lack of hydraulic flow, disregard it right now.

Something either got damaged or disconnected when the tractor was moved, as the only other real option is it is actually cold enough to have frozen, which would mean that the transmission and rear end is full of water (Very ODD).
If you find no hydraulic connections that were disconnected when it was loaded, like via a tie down strap or chain, drain the Hydraulic fluid and check for water.
Only other explanation is that the hydraulic pump or drive has gone out, again very rare!

One move would be to loosen the output line from the pump and see if there is any flow from the pump.

Attachments

Last edited:

dabadas

Equipment
kubota b26
Jan 18, 2016
Eden, N.C. USA
OK, My buddy that works for Hertz came by today and checked out my KUBOTA. Guess what? The hydraulics was air locked. I guess 7 hours on the trailer from Alabama to North Carolina shook it quite a bit. Thanks to all for help

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK, My buddy that works for Hertz came by today and checked out my KUBOTA. Guess what? The hydraulics was air locked. I guess 7 hours on the trailer from Alabama to North Carolina shook it quite a bit. Thanks to all for help

Air locked.....mmmmmmm.......
only way to get air in the system is to be very low on fluids......

Normally any air in the system is pushed out (over time)

How did you get it "fixed" ?

dabadas

Equipment
kubota b26
Jan 18, 2016
Eden, N.C. USA
Turning the steering all the way right and left purges the system. I added a little less than 3 quarts to it just to make sure it was full. (May have been a little over full) it foamed up and ran out the fill hole. Going to get new filters and oil and change it. I guess bouncing on the trailer for 7 hours shook it up. I would not have believed it.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
That kind of makes sense, oil low enough for air to infiltrate system, then first start pump cavitates. Had that with power steering that the only way to get air out was put system under vacum or cycle steering with engine off.
Glad its solved.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it does it again, look at the suction line from the pump down to the tank, (Yes that model has a tank on top of the amount in the case) because if it's sucking air that will lead to a ton of issues down the line. ;)
The line might not show an external leak, but because it's a suction line it will suck air into the system, so look for loose fittings, clamps, hoses, seeping leaks, or wet spots.

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
May I ask where in Alabama you bought the B26? There was one on Craigslist near me...right after I bought a new one.