hydraulic leak from gear shifter cover

keyboardman

Equipment
m4700-front end loader
May 13, 2010
shreveport,la
I have a Kubota M4700 that I have had for 14 years. Never had to do anything except replace the battery every 7 years. Until today. I was moving some dirt and as I started moving in reverse, hydraulic fluid started spurting out from under the gear shifter but only while moving in reverse.
Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Ed :confused:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a Kubota M4700 that I have had for 14 years. Never had to do anything except replace the battery every 7 years. Until today. I was moving some dirt and as I started moving in reverse, hydraulic fluid started spurting out from under the gear shifter but only while moving in reverse.
Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Ed :confused:
Assuming the fluid level was correct when you started and nothing got added to it.

The first thing that came to my mind was to check the vent on the transmission to make sure it's open and able to breath.
If it builds up pressure it will find the weakest point to vent and usually will leak oil out when it does.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Assuming the fluid level was correct when you started and nothing got added to it.

The first thing that came to my mind was to check the vent on the transmission to make sure it's open and able to breath.
If it builds up pressure it will find the weakest point to vent and usually will leak oil out when it does.
Good advice, also do you store it outside? If so you likely have water in the system which will cause foaming and all sorts of stuff plus your fluid level will be high.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Good point about the water Kuboman. I take it for granted that some people still leave their tractors outside. It's one thing to get caught out in the rain but other than that mine are going in the shed. My wife doesn't even have a spot in my shed unless she is parking a tractor in there.

This is what is on the front of my shed. :D

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
THat is great! Where did you get that sign? I need one like that.
I got the real Kubota signs and the license plates from the merchandise section on www.kubota.com and my wife found the Kubota Tractor BLVD sign on E-bay.

I have the parking sign and the Kubota drive sign on my shed that I park my trailer, tractors and store some of my equipment in and the Kubota Tractor BLVD sign I made a post and have it at the end of my driveway. :D :cool:

Attachments