Size Question

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
Hey all

I know there are often size threads, but I have one for my specific property here that we just moved onto...(15 acres)

My needs:
- mowing (about half regularly, other half rough cut less often)
- large garden type work
- snow removal (long driveway, Canadian winters)
- occasional loader work for maintenance, clean up, leveling, etc.

The property is surrounded pretty well by trees but there aren't a ton of trees to maneuver around inside. I am looking for the right combination of power, traction, and ability to get jobs done decently quickly. I have a particular model in mind but am hoping for a bit of input on the subject and will add to the discussion after.

Edit - I should mention that there was no equipment left behind on the property so this tractor will be my go to piece of machinery for quite some time

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey all

I know there are often size threads, but I have one for my specific property here that we just moved onto...(15 acres)

My needs:
- mowing (about half regularly, other half rough cut less often)
- large garden type work
- snow removal (long driveway, Canadian winters)
- occasional loader work for maintenance, clean up, leveling, etc.

The property is surrounded pretty well by trees but there aren't a ton of trees to maneuver around inside. I am looking for the right combination of power, traction, and ability to get jobs done decently quickly. I have a particular model in mind but am hoping for a bit of input on the subject and will add to the discussion after.

Edit - I should mention that there was no equipment left behind on the property so this tractor will be my go to piece of machinery for quite some time
Tre,

there are a few more questions you might want to tell us...
what is your "budget"
go ahead and tell us what you are thinking too - what model ?
You looking for a MMM or will a rear mower work better?
You looking for a closed cab for that harsh winter?
HST or gear?
You buying new? I would think so ........take all you can afford and then a few bucks more to get into the ZERO % ...you will never regret it , I promise.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Agree with 85Hokie, just off the top of my head I would say you need a Grand L60 like a L4060.
Rear mower
Rear blade
Front Snowblower

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I only have 5 acres and there are times my B2650 seems too small. Plenty of power but not quite the weight to get good traction.

The suggestion to get a pretty decent size tractor makes sense. Of course if you're willing to look at used, you may be able to get a much bigger machine for a very nice price. I was afraid since it was my first tractor so I just bought new.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
L3940 here on 20 acres. I went that big so i could have a 72" front blower. While you can't hardly go wrong with a grand L, I'd think a B might be a good place to be. Go get in/drive both. There is no perfect answer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
Thanks for the replies guys. I do know there is no easy answer and one person might have a different preference than the next guy...

I had started out looking at bigger B models and had some recommendations to explore smaller L's as well. After looking at them all in person, small L's do seem to be a great fit.

As for budget, it's hard to compare the prices here to what you guys pay in the states since they are in general way more expensive here it seems. What I will say is that I just recently came across a guy selling an L3200, model year 2011 but only about 40 hours on it. It is a nice package that includes the quick attach loader, forks, tiller and post hole digger. His asking price is a tad high and I don't *really* need the hole digger but I feel like I don't want to let a nice pre-emissions L3200 like this slip away so I will probably try to negotiate a bit.

Any thoughts? Anyone I have seen with an L3200 just raves about it minus the sometimes jerky 3ph.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Money goes a whole lot further on a used machine. Used implements too. B is too small in my opinion, L gets you a much larger machine, don't get hung up on HP ratings.

My tractor is at least 30 years old and still works great, I have no problems getting parts from my local dealers within a couple days. Kubota has great dealers and part support.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I have a Grand L3830 and it'll do all you want to do but if it were me you always go with at least one size bigger than you need, unless you get a great deal a on a used tractor but never go smaller than what you want, nothing like horse power.

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
I also just noticed a guy post an L3240 for sale, model year 2011 but 2000 hours on the machine. It is priced overall a little cheaper than the L3200 I mentioned above that has very very low hours. Any recommendations? I know these things are durable, but I plan on having this thing for quite a while so I was trying to stay away from anything really used.

Only reason I ask about it is I know some people are wild about those grand L's.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I cant answer your question, but in MHO as I know just about the area your in. and for sure an "L" ! Cost is always a major part of the deal, but a 4 year old machine and super low hours I would have think very hard about it.
Plus you can sell what ever attachments you have no need for, that helps to take a little of the sting out of it too. Have a great day up there in the GWN

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I also just noticed a guy post an L3240 for sale, model year 2011 but 2000 hours on the machine. It is priced overall a little cheaper than the L3200 I mentioned above that has very very low hours. Any recommendations? I know these things are durable, but I plan on having this thing for quite a while so I was trying to stay away from anything really used.

Only reason I ask about it is I know some people are wild about those grand L's.
That L3200 will do a fine job for ya. But the L3240 is a nice rig and with 2000
hrs should have a pretty low price.

We bought a L3750 with around 2000 hrs on it 15 years ago and it's been a
good rig, but is in rough shape now.

400 acres here and I use the L3800 98% of the time.:cool:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Keep in mind what 85Hokie mentioned about that 0%. That also coveres implements if you buy them from the Kubota dealer. Make one package deal and get everything you need at once without interest, that's hard to beat.

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
As I mentioned, I had also been initially considering the high end B series models. I have also found a lightly used B7800 for sale that would save a bit of cash.

I know that everyone says buy bigger buy bigger, don't get something too small and regret your decision. I guess that's why I made this post, I was just hoping for input from anyone who might have had similar needs to mine and what they feel that, prices aside, the appropriate purchase would be.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had a B7100 years ago and loved the little guy. It was my first Kubota and the reason I now have purchased other Kubotas. At that time I had a 4' finish mower and was cutting about 14 acres. It seemed like I would never get done and felt more like work than an enjoyable time on my tractor. In 2000 I bought my L3000 (32 hp) and a 6' mower. Cut more than half off my mowing time and made where I could get ahead of the game so to speak.

Personally, I wish I had went with a bigger tractor but in total I have 140+ acres. My advise to you would be look at a L series for the extra weight and stability. My initial thought would be something like a L3200 or L3800. I think either of those would be a great match for you. Not saying a B series wouldn't do the work but you don't want to have to spend all your free time in the seat. Go a little bigger so you can get the job done and enjoy your tractor.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I would avoid a B for 15 acres. I have an L3200DT on 6 acres and it feels like I could've gone bigger if I had the money, but the L3200 works well on 6 and I'd say up to 10. At 15 you might find yourself looking for something either larger or more powerful (like an L3800).

It takes me what amounts to a full day to mow 6 acres with a 60" rotary mower which is about the max size the L3200 will handle. If you went up in HP and maybe size, you could get a bat-wing mower and stay within the 'day' range of doing 15 acres.

Now, if you have lots of time on your hands, trading it for the smaller L3200 will save you money and fuel costs. Remember, the larger the tractor, the more fuel it uses and the more it costs to keep it maintained and repaired.

My only solid advice: A B series can't handle 15 acres without a lot of potential for grumbling.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought my L3800 in May 2013. It just turned 119 hrs. I have 5 acres. 4 that I bush hog. I bucket snow, use the pallet forks for my business to unload steel and load freight to ship to customers. With the rops down I can drive into several lower garage doors. My only 'wish' would be more lift capacity.(1200 lbs) But its a tractor, not a forklift. I love it....

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I've had a L3800DT for almost 3 years and it has surpassed my expectations. Really good rig for it's size!

I have a friend who just bought a used B3200. He wanted a L, but his wife wanted the B because it was closer to the ground. She will use it more than him, so they got the right rig I guess... :cool:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have the L3200DT on 10 hilly acres. The size is great, and the power is fine. I run an old 60" bush hog, but could easily handle a 72". It replaced a L185DT that I had for 30+ years. The 185 didn't have the power, but clearly worked its butt off for a good long time.
Given the current ratings of FELs, you wouldn't be comfortable doing serious loader work on less than an L. The larger tires give more traction than the B has, and you get about 800 lbs more weight. And the bigger the tire, the more fluid you can fill it with. Really, I don't see how they can put a loader with a 1200 lb lift capacity on a tractor weighing 1800 lbs...
With either tractor you will want to hang a LOT of weight on the rear end for loader work.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I have the L3200DT on 10 hilly acres. The size is great, and the power is fine. I run an old 60" bush hog, but could easily handle a 72".
Hmmm... my L3200 feels like the 60" is about maximum, but maybe I was working the mower too hard in the heavy stuff. 72" might work in lighter stuff that's regularly mowed. Maybe I'm under selling the power and it just feels a little burdened...

Now you're making me wonder if I could've gotten a 72" on the machine darn it! Thanks GP... :rolleyes: :D