G6200 HST hydro/rear end issue?

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
So I just bought a G6200 HST hydrostatic with 1700 hours and it runs really well. When I tested it out it moved forward and backward perfectly fine, but this was on flat ground. It also crawled up my loading ramps into the back of my 3/4 ton truck without any issue whatsoever, and it was a steep climb. When I got it home and went to back it down the ramps, it free wheeled and I had to use the brake to keep it from rolling down the ramps out of control. Once I got it down I took it over to a small hill in my yard and when it's on the slope it rolls down. Tomorrow I'm going to check the fluid and make sure it's full and looks clean. Anything else I should check? I really hope I didn't buy myself a dud. :(

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Hmmm, your description of GST sounds familiar. More on that in a moment.

Are you sure (1) clutch 'out' engaged (2) steering column GST in F or R but not Neutral and (3) gear selector not in Neutral. Otherwise I've got nothing, based on your description.

I was not familar with GST and first time I changed directions or gears on a slope the damn thing freewheeled until it 'caught'; scared the beejeebers out of me. In my case the operator simply had to understand the limitations of the system. After that, it was okay.

If you backed down your ramps out of the truck and it wasn't first fully engaged into gear (column and selector) you could have experienced the same thing I did.

Note I don't know your machine---my GST has both a column F-N-R selector and a left-hand-by-the-seat 1-8 gear selector: either in N will freewheel the machine.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Hmmm, your description of GST sounds familiar. More on that in a moment.

Are you sure (1) clutch 'out' engaged (2) steering column GST in F or R but not Neutral and (3) gear selector not in Neutral. Otherwise I've got nothing, based on your description.

I was not familar with GST and first time I changed directions or gears on a slope the damn thing freewheeled until it 'caught'; scared the beejeebers out of me. In my case the operator simply had to understand the limitations of the system. After that, it was okay.

If you backed down your ramps out of the truck and it wasn't first fully engaged into gear (column and selector) you could have experienced the same thing I did.

Note I don't know your machine---my GST has both a column F-N-R selector and a left-hand-by-the-seat 1-8 gear selector: either in N will freewheel the machine.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

It's an HST (hydrostatic).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Three things come to mind:
As it doesn't have a clutch that can't be slipping.
If the hydraulic lift valve lever on the side of the seat is out of adjustment, where it would be going into bypass, then that could be an issue as it would rob hydraulic fluid flow from the hydrostat unit.
The other thought is that the brake is on... I know it sounds bad but I've done it 100 times myself, and a few of the smaller tractors that I've had will back up under power with the parking brake on but won't go forward.

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Profnohair: I looked on the Kubotabooks site but didn't see the Eaton manual. Maybe I'm just not seeing it? Otherwise if you have it in digital form already I can give you my email address if you'd want to email it to me, I'd be very grateful! :)

Wolfman: I know the parking brake isn't on because the parking brake lever isn't working properly. I had to press on the brake to keep the tractor from free wheeling down my loading ramps. The brake pedal has a fairly substantial travel to it as well so it'd be really easy to to see if the parking brake was engaged. I don't think the lift is the issue either because it will roll when the tractor is off as well. I can grab it by the hitch ball and pull it and it will roll.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Considering that the hydrostat unit is also the pump for the lift that would be my first place to start. Any problem with the lift would be a good indication of what's going on.
I understand what you mean by it feels like it's free wheeling, and if the hydraulic valve is malfunctioning it could be just bypassing the fluid past the Hydro drive portion of the unit thus causing it to free wheel and also have no pulling power.
First I would play with the lift a bit while moving it around to see if anything changes, then if that doesn't do anything, I think before I did much more I'd pull the fluid filter and strainer and check for burnt fluid, metal shavings/sludge.
Did you download the Operators manual from Kubotabooks.com? It has a lot of good info in it too.

Last edited:

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Yep, one of the first things I did was print of the Operator's Manual and put it in the binder with the Work Shop Manual that came with the tractor. There is some great information in those books!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The service manual you have should break down the testing procedures for hydrostat.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
There should be a bypass valve on the HST that allows moving the tractor without operating the engine, such as a emergency when the engine is non op. Are you should that valve is not open?

David

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
David,
I thought the same thing, but there is no bypass valve on that model. ;)

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
That is correct, there is no bypass valve on this model. And it specifically says "DO NOT TOW UNIT" or something to that nature or you will mess up the hydro transmission.

MaximusGluteus: Send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Well it was a thought.. didn't know that there was no bypass valve, that makes it rather inconvenient!

David

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
It doesn't roll easily when the tractor isn't running, and when it does roll the rear end makes a sort of rhythmic clicking sound (for lack of a better description).

When I was driving it home in the back of my truck I didn't tie it down because the seller literally lived down the street from me so I just took it easy, and it rolled back into the tailgate even though I accelerated slowly (scared the doodoo out of me), and then rolled forward again when I'd brake. I thought maybe it was sliding since it was raining so hard but it was definitely rolling.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wouldn't think a few min of the tractor moving around in the back of a truck would do a thing to it as it's a pretty tough tractor.

On the input to the hydrostat pump there is a set screw that keeps the collar from spinning on the shaft, it's 200 on the parts diagram, check that.

Does the lift work well?
If it does then it has a problem beyond the hydro as that is the pump for the hydraulics.

G6200 Hydro.JPG

Last edited:

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
I'll check that set screw. The lift works perfectly, so I guess the hydro pump isn't the issue. Maybe something in the rear end? Or is that part of the hydro? I don't know much about hydrostatic transmissions.

On another forum I was told that it's normal for a hydrostatic tractor to free wheel a little. When I haul my dad's little Ariens YT-150H and back it down the ramps from the truck it doesn't free wheel at all, but the G6200 yesterday free wheeled pretty bad. I haven't experienced any freewheeling from my old worn out MTD 990 with the Peerless hydro unit either, so I dunno. :confused:

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
It looks like that set screw is covered so I have no way to check it. No big deal. I changed the oil and filter, changed the hydro unit filter, greased everything, and fired it up. Started mowing and it shut off. Forgot I had the fuel turned off at the fuel filter. After that it would start and then shut off right away. Tried bleeding it through the bleeder screws and it didn't help. Cleaned the sediment bowl and filter and filled the bowl with fresh fuel, opened the injectors, and tried bleeding again. Now I'm not getting fuel at all. Tractors and I just do not get along...

Last edited:

Walker111

Equipment
G5200
Sep 7, 2018
Fburg VA
Three things come to mind:
As it doesn't have a clutch that can't be slipping.
If the hydraulic lift valve lever on the side of the seat is out of adjustment, where it would be going into bypass, then that could be an issue as it would rob hydraulic fluid flow from the hydrostat unit.
The other thought is that the brake is on... I know it sounds bad but I've done it 100 times myself, and a few of the smaller tractors that I've had will back up under power with the parking brake on but won't go forward.
Are you familiar with adjusting the Deck lift lever? I'm having HST problems on my G6200 and cant figure it out. Both my Hydro lift and forward/backwards movement is wonky.